What’s New at the Fortran Company?
2013 Apr 9
- The Fortran Tools 4.3 now comes in two versions: 32 bits and 64 bits. It includes the latest versions of gfortran and Code::Blocks IDE as well as all of the tools, software, and books of the previous versions. Go to the Fortran Store for more information.
2012 Dec 5
- A couple of tutorials have been added to the list on our web site.
2012 Mar 29
- RANDLIB, a random number and statistical generator is available from the University of Texas Department of Biostatistics and Applied Mathematics. It is freely available to anyone.
2012 Mar 19
- A new version (4.2) of the Fortran Tools is available. It contains the latest version of gfortran and the Code::Blocks IDE. It is available from the Fortran Store.
- A nice example of Coarray Fortran solves a heat transfer problem using four images.
2012 Feb 6
- Programs from the book Guide to Fortran 2003 Programming are available.
2011 Nov 28
- A new training class is available from The Fortran Company that covers the new features of Fortran 2003 and Fortran 2008.
2011 Oct 30
- SourceLair lets you write, compile, and run your Fortran (and other language) programs online.
2011 Oct 15
- The Fortran Company is now offering a new version of the Fortran Tools. This version uses Code::Blocks as the interactive development environment for editing, running, and debugging your Fortran programs.It also contains the latest version (4.7) of gfortran as well as the tools and books in the previous versions.
2010 Nov 29
- MUESLI, a numerical and graphics library (free)
- EGGX/Procall Easy and Gratifying Graphics Library for X11
2010 Aug 19
- A section on Coarray Fortran has been added to the Fortran 03 training class.
2010 Aug 14
- The latest three Fortran standards have been added to the web site: the Fortran 08 standard, the Fortran 03 standard, and the Fortran 95 standard.
2010 Apr 20
- The Fortran 90 standard is available in PDF format.
2010 Mar 30
- A new version of the Fortran Tools is available. It includes the gfortran Fortran 95 compiler, the new version of the Photran/Eclipse graphical development interface, as well as the tools available in previous editions of the Fortran Tools.It runs on XP, Vista, and Windows 7.To purchase the Fortran Tools or see more information, go to the the Fortran Store.
2009 Dec 13
- Dr. Clinton Chee is offering Fortran consulting services.
2009 Nov 25
- The Wiki entries on the “Information” and “Index” pages now refer to a description of the Fortran 95 language feautres.
2009 Aug 11
- Guide to Fortran 2003 Programming by Brainerd, published by Springer, is now available from the Fortran Store.
2009 Apr 22
- Numerical Algorithms Group has an excellent summary of the new features of Fortran 2003 on its website.
2009 Apr 17
- One of the versions of the Fortran Company’s training sessions in visual Fortran utilizes the Numerical Algorithms Group Builder. Builder is an interactive development environment with a graphical user interface and includes a debugger.
2009 Feb 9
- The Fortran Company now offers a two-day class covering the new features of Fortran 2003.
2009 Jan 2
2008 Aug 8
- A new version of the Fortran Tools is available from the Fortran Store. The CDs contain all of the tools as before, but have updated versions of the Fortran 95 compiler and the Photran graphical user interface.
2006 Jul 1
- A suite of tests for the ISO Varying String part of the Fortran standard is provided by Lawrie Schonfelder.
- fUnit is an xUnit-style testing framework for Fortran 90 test-driven development provided by Bill Kleb of NASA.
2006 May 15
- New versions of the Fortran Tools are available. The main feature of the new versions is inclusion of a set of routines callable from a Fortran program that allow user input/output to be performed using graphical interfaces (dialogs, radio buttons, slider bars, etc.).
- There are now versions for 64-bit Linux.
2006 Mar 10
- New versions of the Fortran Tools are available. These use version 3.0.0 of Photran.
- Versions of the Fortran Tools that use F compilers based on g95 are available for free from the Fortran Store. Some additional free files must be downloaded to use these versions. A CD containing all of the necessary files is available from the Fortran Store at a modest cost. The old versions of F are no longer available.
2006 Feb 3
- The new Absoft compilers are available from the Fortran Store. Also, network multiuser floating licenses may be purchased online.
2005 Dec 12
- Ftcl, an interface for Tcl and Fortran from Arjen Markus
- Neglected FORTRAN (sic), a tutorial by Drew McCormack.
2005 Nov 28
- A new book, Fortran 95 Using F is available in PDF format from the Fortran Store. It is a minor revision of The Programmer’s Guide to F.A printed version of this book is available from Lulu.
- A new book, The Key Features of Fortran 95 is available in PDF format from the Fortran Store. It is a revision of Fortran Top 90–Ninety Key Features of Fortran 90.A printed version of this book is available from Lulu.
2005 Oct 7
- Xeffort is a free, open source library for the creation of GUIs with Intel Visual Fortran.
2005 Aug 11
- Versions of the Fortran Tools are now available that include everything you need to install and run Photran, g95, and all the other tools.
2005 Jul 22
- With the Fortran Tools, you now have the option of installing much faster versions of the Blas and Lapack libraries provided by the Atlas library. These are invoked by Matran or can be called directly.
2005 Jun 28
- The Fortran Tools now include the BLAS and LAPACK libraries and the MATRAN Fortran 95 wrapper for them (for example, A .xiy. B solves Ax = B).Also, as an option, you can get the Programmers Guide to F for an additional $22.Go to the Fortran Store and search for “tools”.
2005 Apr 21
- The Fortran Company is now offering FortranTools, a suite of tools consisting of g95, the open source Fortran 95 compiler; Photran, an open source graphical user interface for editing, compiling, running, and debugging Fortran 95 programs; several books in electronic form; and other tools. FortranTools is available on Linux and Windows.
2005 Apr 19
- The Fortran Company is now offering training classes in Fortran 90/95 using the Eclipse/Photran graphical user environment to edit, compile, run, and debug Fortran programs. This software will run on a variety of systems, including Windows, Linux, and the Mac.
2005 Apr 3
- Photran, a free graphical user interface is now available with the F compiler. It can be used for editing, compiling, running, and debugging an F program.
2005 Jan 25
- IBM XL Fortran for Macintosh OS X is now availble for purchase at a discount from the Fortran Store.
2005 Jan 3
2004 Nov 16
- IVF (Intel Visual Fortran) Training classes are now offered by the Fortran Company.
2004 Nov 15
- Gfortran, (the GNU gfortran Fortran 95 project), has a web site.
2004 May 28
- Interfaces allowing direct access to gnuplot from Fortran (for Unix).
- Posix functions in Fortran (for Linux).
2004 May 15
- A new book The Fortran Top 95–Ninety-Five Key Features of Fortran 95 by Jeanne Adams, Walt Brainerd, Jeanne Martin, and Brian Smith is available for purchase from the Fortran Store in electronic (PDF) form.This version has many links (index, list of topics, related topics, related intrinsics, etc.) that will make it a very useful online reference.And it is only $10.
2004 Mar 21
The following have been added to the list of free Fortran software:
- John Burkardt’s huge collection of F77 code translated to free-format F90 (Lapack, Eispack, Linpack, Quadpack etc.)
- MATRAN: A matrix wrapper for Fortran 95
2004 Jan 19
- Original IBM Fortran manual. This is the original IBM manual for the 704 computer.
2004 Jan 9
- An XML parser provided by Alberto Garcia and written in F is available.
2003 Dec 18
- HicEst is a Fortran-based Interpreter.
2003 Dec 3
- Work will begin soon on the next (Fortran20xx?) standard. Suggestions for new features may be submitted.
2003 Nov 1
- J3 has produced a Final Committee Draft (FCD) of the Fortran 2003 standard. Comments may be submitted.
2003 Oct 22
- An F conformant version of the ISO Varying Strings module has been supplied by Rich Townsend.
- A nice version of the Fortran 66 standard in .GIF format has been provided by Bill Levak.
- An HTML version of Military Standard 1753 (related to Fortran 77) also has been provided by Bell Levak.
2003 Oct 18
- New versions of the free F compiler are available at the F ftp site.
2003 Sep 20
- You can now purchase the Lahey/Fujitsu Fortran compilers for .NET from the Fortran Company.
2003 Sep 17
- A version of quick sort has been contributed by Juli Rew of NCAR.
2003 May 16
- F2KCLI is a free implementation of the Fortran 2000 command line interface (getting arguments from the command line). It is provided by ISS, the Winteracter people.
- John Reid has created a presentation in PDF format: Fortran 2000 summary
- We now have link to the Fortran 66 standard in PDF format.
2003 May 2
- F Tutorial by Robert Moniot of Fordham University is a brief tutorial on F for those especially interested in numerical computations. It is available only in PDF format, purchased from the Fortran Store for $10 and delivered by e-mail.
2003 April 29
- There are new versions of the F compiler (20030424) on the web site. Only one minor bug is fixed, but the defined data types for rationals, big integers, extended precision reals, quaternions, and Roman numerals are documented.
2003 April 22
- Here is a brief report on the Fortran standards reunion held in March in Las Vegas.
2003 March 19
- The Salford compilers with .NET and Win32 are back in the Fortran Store.
2003 February 22
- There are new versions of the F compiler available on the web site. They are version 20030311.
2003 January 27
- Watcom provides open sourced F77, C, and C++ Watcom compilers. Currently supported platforms are DOS16, DOS32, Win16, Win32, OS/2, QNX, and Netware.
2002 November 29
- Kinesis has been added to the consultants page.
2002 November 11
- Information about the latest versions of the Absoft compilers may be found in the Fortran Store. The latest version for Windows and Intel/AMD Linux is 8.0. For PPC Linux, it is 7.5.
- Information about the latest versions of the Lahey compilers may be found in the Fortran Store. The latest are versions 5.7 for Windows and 6.1 for Linux.
2002 July 4
2002 June 20
- Here is a module for checking consistency of physical units in a program.
2002 May 22
- We have a new phone system:
+1-877-355-6640 (voice & fax)
2002 March 28
2002 February 24
- There are new free versions of the F compiler for Linux, Unix, and Windows.
2002 January 18
- There are two new job listings in Southern California.
2001 November 30
2001 November 22
- cfortran.h, which helps with interfacing Fortran with C/C++.
- Mathtools.net is the technical computing portal for all scientific and engineering needs. The portal is provided as a free service to the scientific community and contains useful links for technical computing programmers.
- Jim Kerrigan’s bibliography has been updated; it is in PDF format.
- The Fortran Interface Wizard automatically generates code for creating a Fortran DLL and interface code for using the DLL from Borland Delphi. A sample delphi project can also be generated. The program is GPL.
- This little piece of code evaluates Mathematica functions in Fortran and evaluates them. For example, given a text string
with values for the variables x and y, it will evaluate it in runtime.
- make_pm generates a processor model for you.
- Abraham Agay has a Fortran 90 module implementing error analysis via interval arithmetic, and would like to get feedback from more users. (code) (docs)
- Perl program to A alphabetize CONTAINed F90 subroutines and functions.
- A vectorial graphical library in DXF. It is freeware distribution.
- MATFOR features a set of numerical and graphical libraries.
2001 November 2
- Version 7.5 of the Absoft Linux compilers is now available at the Fortran Store.
2001 October 15
- There is a new version of F for windows on the ftp download site: ftp://ftp.fortran.com/pub/walt/F. It implements the HPF functions and some of the POSIX-like features, such as getting arguments from the command line.
- Sweatshirts and long- and short-sleved T shirts with the F logo are available for sale in the Fortran Store.
- A picture of Sophie, the official Fortran Company mascot, may be viewed.
2001 September 10
- Free admission tickets to the exhibits at Supercomputing 2001 are available (see home page).
- LGO – based on award-winning research – provides an efficient and friendly application development environment for solving nonlinear and global optimization problems. PC / workstation versions, and related consulting services are also offered. For more information, please visit http://is.dal.ca/~jdpinter/lgoide.htm
2001 April 18
- New address and telephone number. See following entry.
2001 Feb 13
- The activities of Unicomp, Inc. and Imagine1, Inc. are being assumed byThe Fortran Company
6025 N. Wilmot Road
Tucson, Arizona 85750 USA
+1-877-355-6640 (voice & fax)
2001 Feb 2
2000 Nov 21
- SansGUI (http://protodesign-inc.com/sansgui.htm), from ProtoDesign, Inc. (http://protodesign-inc.com), is a modeling and simulation environment for developing and deploying scientific and engineering simulators without writing any graphical user interface code.
2000 Sep 29
- Milan Batista also has ported the NCAR graphics software to the Windows environment using the Compaq VC 6.x compilers. http://www.fpp.uni-lj.si/~milanb/ncarg/
2000 Sep 21
- Milan Batista of the University of Ljubljana has ported the STARLNIK GKS library onto MS Windows environment using the Compaq VC 6.x compiler: http://www.fpp.uni-lj.si/~milanb/gks/.
2000 Sep 1
- Here is the famous article about the infamous COME FROM statement.
2000 Aug 23
2000 Aug 1
- DESL, an integrated data manipulation/plotting tool written in Fortran with functionality mostly related, but not limited to, wind tunnel testing of aircraft.
2000 May 18
- Here is and excellent source of information and further liks related to Fortran at the Open Directory Project: Fortran.
- COCO free source code from Purple Sage Computing Solutions
2000 May 11
- There is a GNU Fortran g95 project in an embryonic state.
2000 April 20
- A Fortran 90 syntax (lexical) coloring file for the vim text editor is available at http://www.unb.ca/chem/ajit/f90.vim.It has options for fixed source format, Fortran 95, the Lahey subset language elf90, and the Imagine1 subset language F.
2000 February 21
- Stephen Kirkup sells and gives away Fortran codes for solving a range of physical problems by the Boundary Element Method. See the web site www.boundary-element-method.com.